Title

Monday, June 2, 2014

Painted Ladies

You know, I was expecting A LOT more than this with the painted ladies. I mean, I guess I've always seen gorgeous shots of these houses but nothing really impressed me (I mean COME ON....FULL HOUSE ANYONE?!?!?!?). Maybe because one of the houses was missing (new one being built) and two of them were getting facial lifts with some construction.


According to Wikipedia:
"Painted ladies" is a term in American architecture used for Victorian and Edwardian houses and buildings painted in three or more colors that embellish or enhance their architectural details. The term was first used for San Francisco Victorian houses by writers Elizabeth Pomada and Michael Larsen in their 1978 book Painted Ladies - San Francisco's Resplendent Victorians. Since then the term has also been used to describe groups of colorful Victorian houses in other American cities, such as the Charles Village neighborhood in Baltimore, Lafayette Square in St. Louis, Missouri, the greater San Francisco and New Orleans areas, Columbia-Tusculum in Cincinnati, The Old West End in Toledo, Ohio, and the city of Cape May, New Jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment