Title

Monday, April 11, 2011

Sorority Founding Dinner


For the past 7 years the DC Phi Mu Alumnae Chapter meets up on April 6th at Old Ebbitt Grill in DC to celebrate its founding. This event last year was my first DC Phi Mu event. I had moved in on a Sunday and from what I remember it was two days later I went to this event. Hahaha I do remember calling Carlina (an alum of the Tidewater Chapter that I went to school with) almost in tears because I thought this chapter wasn't going to be any fun. I can't remember what sisters I talked to that night but needless to say I haven't seen them since. I can safely say now that I was terribly wrong! But it is hard to go from one chapter where you have SO many awesome connections to another chapter where you don't know anyone. But that's the beauty of Phi Mu because you have at least one thing (probably MANY MANY more things) in common! That and I badgered my sorority sisters up here to join the chapter too! [Insert evil laugh here]

For food, I got the spinach stuffed cannolli and it was good, but it wasn't GREAT. I've eaten there twice before (this exact same event last year!) and I LOVED what I got both times, some really good chicken dinner and then a beef stew...my mouth is watering now. Not over last my dinner this time :/
Our waiter was nothing to write home about, actually he was pretty slow (in both speed and mental capacity). Him: [Best part...ever!] So that beer...is it like a Pale Ale. Me: Well, since the words Pale Ale is in the title of the beer I'm guessing so! And it really saddens me that we never take pictures, but oh well. What's a girl to do? I read a bit of background about this place because I knew it was the oldest saloon in DC and I wanted to learn a bit more. So, withouth further adieu, here is some more:
The Old Ebbitt Grill, Washington's oldest, most historic saloon, was founded in 1856. According to legend, innkeeper William E. Ebbitt bought a boarding house at that time, but no one today can pinpoint its exact location. It was most likely on the edge of present-day Chinatown, somewhere near the Verizon Center. As a boarding house, the Ebbitt guest list read like a Who's Who of American History. President McKinley is said to have lived there during his tenure in Congress. Presidents Grant, Andrew Johnson, Cleveland, Theodore Roosevelt and Harding supposedly refreshed themselves at its stand-around bar.Each table in the Ebbitt was graced by a blue history card that read: "Many other famous statesmen, naval and military heroes, too numerous to mention here, have been guests of the house." Evolving to a higher form, Old Ebbitt became Washington's first known saloon. And as the years passed, it moved to a number of new locations. The moves and their history have amassed a priceless collection of antiques and memorabilia. Along the way, Old Ebbitt acquired beer steins, animal heads (reputedly bagged by Teddy Roosevelt), and wooden bears said to have been imported by Alexander Hamilton for his private bar. Unfortunately, many artifacts were beyond preserving, unable to weather the 1983 move just around the corner. Said architect John Richards Andrews at the time, "We tried to bring the spirit of the place without some of the old details." Today the Victorian interior evokes Washington saloons at the turn of the century. The antique clock over the revolving door at the entrance is an heirloom from the previous location, and the marble staircase with an iron-spindled rail was salvaged from the old National Metropolitan Bank next door.

No comments:

Post a Comment