Title

Monday, September 17, 2012

Air Force Memorial


 

Even though I lived down the street for a year, I had never stopped at the Air Force Memorial before. I always saw it in the sky and wondered how I could drive over there. I finally figured it out when I was looking for a new place to live. Still, it was a full year later when I actually decided to stop by. Its very impressive and tall.

Of course while I was there I was rushed out because there was a tornado warning. While I ran back to my car, the skies opened up and the MOST intense rain storm reared its ugly head and I had to rush back home to safety. 

A little background on the memorial:
The memorial was dedicated on 14 October 2006. The three memorial spires range from 201 feet (61 m) to 270 feet (82 m) high and appear to be soaring; its array of stainless steel arcs against the sky evoke the image of "contrails of the Air Force Thunderbirds as they peel back in a precision 'bomb burst' maneuver." Only three of the four contrails are depicted, at 120 degrees from each other, as the absent fourth suggests the missing man formation traditionally used at Air Force funeral fly-overs.


Here are a few pictures:
You can see the Arlington Cemetery on the left.

Too bad the rains opened up and it was dark because the view was absolutely beautiful





No comments:

Post a Comment