Title

Monday, March 28, 2011

This Day in History v. 18

This is me standing next to one of the lions in Trafalgar Square in London in 2008. Look how small I look next to that massive thing!
From my reserach:
Trafalgar Square is a square in central London, England. With its position in the heart of London, it is a tourist attraction, and one of the most famous squares in the United Kingdom and the world. At its centre is Nelson's Column, which is guarded by four lion statues at its base. Statues and sculptures are on display in the square, including a fourth plinth displaying changing pieces of contemporary art. The square is also used as a location for political demonstrations and community gatherings, such as the celebration of New Year's Eve in London.
Nelson's Column was built between 1840 and 1843 to a design by William Railton at a cost of £47,000. The sandstone statue of Nelson is by E. H. Baily and the four bronze lions on the base, added in 1867, were designed by Sir Edwin Landseer.
The sculptor of the four lions on Trafalgar Square had never even seen a lion when he cast the statues. He used his dog and a cat as the models for the statues. That is why the lion has his tongue out, much like a dog!
Did you know that Nelson's Column is where all distances to London are measured from? Well, now you do! Climbing that thing was a B*TCH. I'm sure Hannah had a great time pushing me up by the butt as I try my darndest to even get a hand up to the top, much less climb up monkey style and embarass myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment