Title

Friday, May 15, 2015

Bay to Breakers....On Repeat

I can't believe it, I'm running Bay to Breakers again. I said I'd never do it again because there were just too many people running the race and too many drunks you had to literally run around and over.  And too many naked old men....YES, naked old men!!!  You can read my post from last year here.  Well, when a couple of friends said they had signed up, I figured what the hell. They won't be running it for time, just to have fun.  And there's lots of fun to be had in this race!


I had to get new shoes for this race because my old ones needed to be retired.  The only good thing about this race is that the start is only 3 blocks from my house!  This is the 103 year the race has taken over the streets of San Francisco.  Here's a little background about the race, I just love how everything in this city has this incredible history:

At 5:13am on April 18, 1906, a devastating earthquake destined to become one of history’s most notorious natural disasters rocked San Francisco.
The subsequent fire and destruction were unimaginable, and many feared the City would never fully recover. But San Franciscans, displaying their typical fortitude, immediately began rebuilding the city and orchestrating events to lift civic morale. One of those events, the Cross City Race – better known today as the Zappos.com Bay to Breakers – was first held on January 1, 1912. It was intended as a precursor to the world-class athletic events being planned for the 1915 Pan Pacific International Exposition. There were 218 registrants, 186 starters, and 121 finishers. Robert Jackson “Bobby” Vlught, a St. Mary’s College student, was the first runner to cross the finish line, with a time of 44:10.

No comments:

Post a Comment