Title

Monday, October 10, 2011

Montauk, New York

Back in August (yes, I am a bit behind blogging about it...don't know why!) my boyfriend and I took our second roadtrip to a place called Montauk, New York. A few things I learned this trip:
1. We should not road trip together.
2. Damn his family can drink and its probably best if you don't try to keep up.
3. Its pretty chilly out on the furthest most tip of NY.

Haven't ever heard of Montauk? (Yeah, me either) Behold:
It's that tiny red dot. Population 3,851.

"Why in the hell did you go there?!?!?!" you ask. Good question. Apparently my boyfriend used to be stationed there a few years back and they have this annual fishing trip that I got invited on. (Don't worry your pretty little heads, I did NOT in fact actually go fishing...gross!) but I did come along for the debauchery.

We started our trip off with driving to NYC and staying the night and meeting up with my friends Will & Dana and also his friend Kate. We met up at this bar called Rodeo Bar, complete with ridiculous stuffed animals on the wall and endless peanuts (which about two handfuls somehow ended up in my purse...guess I knew I'd be hungry later?!?!), had a bunch to drink and waaaaay too many shots. Had to call off the fun and make an early-ish exit back to the hotel room.

The next day we set off to Montauk and passed several several cute little towns and even through the east hamptons as well. We eventually got there and met up with his family and their friends (when I say family/friends I really mean like 5 guys....and myself). After a hard day of partying we finally went to bed at like 3am...they had to get up at 6 am. Another reason why I didn't go fishing...no thanks! I spent a glorious morning at the beach catching up on my gossip mags.
If you ever find your way out to Montauk, you HAVE to HAVE to HAVE to experience a sunset at this bar called Montauket. I had too much to drink by this point so I kind of missed some of the sunset, but here is what I captured:

Apparently the boys had one of their best fishing trips ever, so I guess this road trip was worth it!! Here is a picture of the marina with several pricey boats:

Note to self: If you must go on vacay with the boy again, make sure to FLY not DRIVE.

Other interesting things about Montauk you probably didn't know:
  • The Memory Motel is in Montauk on Long Island in the same town as the Church Estate (also known as Eothen) that Andy Warhol bought in 1972. The Rolling Stones stayed at Warhol's estate when they were on tour in 1975-76. (They were good friends with Warhol, who designed the Sticky Fingers album cover.) The Memory Motel was said to be the only place in the area with a pool table and a piano, and The Stones were purported to come by and hang out at the bar. The song "Memory Motel" was written during this period.
  • Montauk is nostalgically praised by singer/songwriter Billy Joel, who had summered in this posh hamlet for years. The song The Downeaster Alexa, from his album Storm Front, tells the story of a Long Island fisherman's journey through Montauk Sound on his ship, named after Joel's daughter.
  • Montauk is the site of the alleged government Montauk Project.
  • The character Quint from the movie Jaws, played by Robert Shaw, was based on Frank Mundus, a shark hunter from Montauk. In the movie, Quint also mentions he "caught a 16-footer (shark) off of Montauk."
  • Singer/songwriter Rufus Wainwright lives in Montauk. He refers to Montauk in the liner notes of his album All Days Are Nights: Songs for Lulu.
Now don't you feel more informed???

No comments:

Post a Comment