Title

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Voluntold

Luckily for me I like to volunteer and I was actually looking forward to it when I moved to a bigger city. I like to think of it as building good karma...and these days I need all the good karma I can get ;) My company actually gives "good points" when you volunteer...basically not just job performance goes into your evaluation score at the end of the year which is used to see if you should be promoted. They have three tiers: job performance, internal project work (generating money for the company) and volunteering/training. So basically they do what the military likes to do, which they call "voluntold". Basically volunteering you to do something. Granted you do get to pick what you want to do and when so that's a little nicer. They like to think of it as "networking". Everything is "networking" here. Whatever. Anyways, I'm pretty excited about what I chose to do. So far I have made efforts to volunteer to record books for the blind and dyslexic and I've also signed up to volunteer at the Walter Reed Memorial Hospital but I have no idea what I will be doing there...so stay tuned!

1 comment: