Title

Friday, May 4, 2012

King Neptune

While Hannah and I were waiting for Kara and Adam's wedding to start, we made a brief detour out to the Oceanfront. I mean it was RIGHT there!! WHY NOT?!?!?!

The Neptune statue is front and center and I've often seen it but never stood next to it. Its where all of my races end when I run in Virginia Beach. But I'm usually concerned with not dying so I pay little attention to it. I just HAD to go up to it.

I had no idea it was SO big.

According to about.com:

A prime photo-op spot and must see along the Virginia Beach Boardwalk, the King Neptune statue by sculptor Paul DiPasquale stands mightily at Neptune Park near the Hilton Hotel 31st Street. This impressive bronze sculpture is 34-feet tall to the height of the trident, weighs 12.5 tons and, in addition to King Neptune, includes an octopus, two dolphins, a sea turtle, a lobster and twelve fish.
DiPasquale's design was conceived as ...a hands-on experience of reality and fantasy...about the wonders hidden beneath the waves. At the same time, the stern Neptune is not entirely pleased with the ecologically poor use of his seas. And his message, in bronze and stone, will carry on into the future.

The project was initiated by the Neptune Festival and funded by private donations. The sculpture was dedicated to the City of Virginia Beach in September 2005 during the annual Neptune Festival's end of the season signature celebration, Boardwalk Weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment