Title

Friday, June 19, 2015

Underground Supper Club


I feel like I've finally entered the SF elite of coolness, last weekend I was invited to an underground supper club. Say what?! No, actually, its called Hearsay.  You heard it here first ladies and gentlemen (ok, probably no men are reading this blog, but still!), if you want to be considered cool here you need to do something that no one else has done!

What is an underground supper club? Only the coolest thing since sliced bread. No, you don't believe me? Ok, fine. Basically it is this married couple (and as Brad asked...were they two gay men?!?! - Ha, no it was a husband and wife team) who invites 12ish or so people over to serve a six course meal.  Tickets go on sale and go quickly from what I understand, tickets are around $100-$120 a person (not cheap) and once you purchase, then you get an address and time to meet.  Even better, it wasn't too far from my house!  How did I hear about it?  A junior league girl invited me after she had heard about it from 7x7 as one of the 10 Fabulous Underground Supper Clubs in SF.

Well, we arrived promptly at 7pm and were ushered into their GORGEOUS GORGEOUS apartment/house. Wow, I mean WOW. I aspire to have a place as beautiful as their house. She said they had lived in the area for 8 years....probably the only way you can afford a space like that is if you were here before prices got to be an average of $3,200 for a 1 bedroom (yes, that is the AVERAGE 1 BEDROOM IN SF...and in my neighborhood its closer to $4K).  Anyways, back to their house....you walked into a dining area with a LARGE table, I mean all 12 of us fit at the table. And above the table were strung white lights (stunning!) and there were painted skateboards attached to the wall.  Oh and I can't forget the 3 maniquins she had surrounding the table clothed in her own collection (obviously).  Their living room was a perfect size and the kitchen was right off that.  And brilliantly she had all of her spices in little containers that were magnetized to her refrigerator...right there at their fingertips! And this was just their downstairs...I was mesmerized!

Anyways, on to the food - the real reason we were there!  We were greeted with champagne (naturally!).  And then ushered to the table that was set beautifully. The menu was printed up and included the following:

First course: Celeriac, coconut, curry (a soup) - paired with a house made gin & tonic

Second course: Morels, green garlic (mushrooms) - paired with Rein Schrader Ranch Pinot Blanc, 2014

Third course: Beet, chevre, almond (a salad) - paired with Forlorn Hope Que Saudade, 2013

Fourth course: Carrot (pasta) - paired with Edmunds St. John Bone-Jolly Gamay Noir Rose, 2014

Fifth course: Seeds and Grains, Maitake (grainy meal) - paired with La Clarine Farm Josephine + Mariposa, 2013

Sixth course: Summer fruit, cake, cream (dessert) - paired with Run, ginger, curaco, lime

OVERALL = A++  It was all vegetarian this dinner, but each dinner varies

I really wanted to take pictures of all the food and of their house, but I didn't want to be "that creeper"....so I only took 3


Who knew I liked beets?!?!


YUMMY DESSERT!

No comments:

Post a Comment