Title

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Gravely Point Park

I finally found Gravelly Point Park on my run today! Gravelly Point is a park in Arlington and its located north of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. Its along the George Washington Parkway and across the Potomac from DC. When I'm not running I will eventually walk down there and take a picture. Perhaps I will ride my bike down there!

A little history lesson for you:
Originally, the area known as Gravelly Point was where Captain John Alexander built a home called Abingdon in 1746. Abingdon was purchased in 1778 by John Parke Curtis, the adopted stepson of President George Washington. It was the birthplace of Washington’s beloved granddaughter, Elanor Parke Custis. Abingdon was destroyed by fire in 1930 and the ruins stabilized. In 1998, the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority preserved the site and created an exhibit of artifacts found there in the Exhibit Hall, located in Terminal A of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.

It was kind of amazing to run around the corner from my house and see the Capitol building and the Washington Monument. Side note, running in 90 degree weather IS NOT FUN!!!! I've signed up to run two half marathons with my dad. One in Richmond in November and one up here in DC next March! A bit ridiculous but I needed something to kick me in the butt and get me back into shape! Stay tuned for my progress!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment